Police Department Employment
The City of Denison, Iowa (population 8319) is currently accepting applications, cover letters, and resumes for the position of police officer. Iowa Law Enforcement Academy certified preferred but not required. Non certified applicants must meet all Iowa Law Enforcement Academy hiring standards. Annual base salary range is from $51,300-$57,000 dependent on ILEA certification.
The City also has an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance.
Applications can be found by clicking on the link below, or by contacting the Denison Police Department at (712) 263-3195.
Applications due by July 5, 2022. Tentative testing date is July 9, 2022.
Mail completed applications to 1119 1st Ave N, Denison, IA, 51442.
General Police Department Information
City of Denison is a community of 8,500. Candidates must meet State of Iowa minimum hiring standards for Law Enforcement Officers. This position requires working all shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays. Applications are accepted on a continual basis and will be kept on file for one year. EOE.
Use links below, or applications may be obtained from:
Denison Police Department
1119 1st Avenue North, P.O. Box 668
Denison, Iowa 51442
Iowa Law Enforcement Academy (Opens in new window.)
Police Officer Minimum Qualifications
- Graduation from high school or GED
- 18 years old on or before date of written examination
- Citizen of United States at time of application
- No felony convictions or convictions for crimes involving moral turpitude
- Free of drug or alcohol addiction
- Vision: 20/20 if glasses not worn; 20/100 with glasses correctable to 20/20
- Normal color vision
- Normal hearing
- Good moral character (determined by a thorough background investigation, fingerprint search)
- Valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State of Iowa, or by another state if able to obtain an Iowa Driver’s License within a reasonable time period
The selection process for the Denison Police Department requires successfully completing the six steps below. Failing any step will result in elimination from the process. Applicants are ranked by scores achieved from each step. Those applicants scoring high enough proceed to the next step.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS SCREENING: From information supplied by the applicant on the application forms and obtained from computerized record files (driver license and criminal history), an initial evaluation is made to determine that applicants meets education/experience and moral character standards. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are invited to participate in the testing process.
- PHYSICAL ASSESSMENT: The physical assessment consists of sit-ups, push-ups, stretch and reach, and a 1.5 mile run. Time and repetitions vary depending on the age and sex of the applicant. The physical assessment takes place the same day as the written test. All applicants passing the physical assessment will be invited to take the written test.
- WRITTEN TEST: Each applicant must take and pass the Police Officer Selection Test (POST). The POST is a timed aptitude test divided into four sections. The specific sections are: basic arithmetic, reading comprehension, grammar/spelling/punctuation, and writing skills. Applicants cannot score less than 70% on any of the four sections of the test and the overall average must be 70% or greater.
- ORAL BOARD INTERVIEW: Each applicant advancing to the Oral Board phase will be interviewed and evaluated separately by the supervisors from the Department and by a citizen’s panel.
- PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAMINATIONS: Applicants that are extended a conditional offer of employment are required to complete a physical with a medical doctor and the MMPI (Minnesota Multi-Phase Personality Inventory). The MMPI consists of 567 true/false questions.
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: Once an applicant has passed the physical and psychological examinations, a background investigation is completed. References, employers, schools, coworkers, and other sources are contacted and interviewed.