City of Denison, Iowa
Job Listings: Administration / City Hall
Deputy Clerk (Full-Time)
General Statement of Duties:
The primary purpose of this position is to assist the City Clerk in planning, organizing, and coordinating all aspects of the City Clerk’s office as assigned including providing input and preparing the city budget, and responsible for assuming City Clerk’s duties in absence of the City Clerk.
Reports To: City Clerk
- Performs a full range of accounting record maintenance activities such as payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable or other specialized areas
- Assist in calculating payroll; calculates figures of purchase orders/invoices and budgetary transactions; daily bank deposits – log, total, code; reviews and checks purchase orders/invoices and related reports
- Reviews payroll reports and maintains payroll deduction reports
- Prepares monthly reports for various departments, along with monthly, quarterly and yearly reports for payroll
- Processing and recording of transactions and account information
- Processes invoices for payment and enters them on the computer financial system
- Compiles and enters safety data sheets
- Writes checks for payment of invoices, bond principal and interest
- Files and processes work comp and liability claims
- Prepares sales tax forms
- Maintain a variety of clerical accounting records
- Cooperate and interact with customers and co-workers
- Orders supplies
- Maintain City Hall petty cash fund
- Closes month end and runs appropriate reports
- Balances city accounts with bank statements
- Operates office machines such as computer, copier, calculator, and typewriter
- Issues licenses and permits
- Performs related duties and clerical functions as assigned or directed
Experience and Training:
High school education or certified GED equivalent, associate degree in accounting recommended but not required, minimum of two (2) years in the accounting field or related areas. Required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job. Skill in the application of data processing for accounting. Valid Iowa Drivers’ license and proof of insurance.
Applications are available at City Hall, 111 North Main in Denison. A fillable application is available by clicking the link below.
To inquire about current openings, please call City Hall at 712-263-3143. The City of Denison is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). Bilingual persons are encouraged to apply. Positions are open until filled. The City of Denison’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons, and to recruit, hire, train, promote and compensate persons in all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.
How to submit applications
- EMAIL: Jessica Garcia, City Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- EMAIL: Jodie Flaherty, City Clerk, at email@example.com
- MAIL: City of Denison; Attn: Jessica Garcia or Jodie Flaherty; 111 North Main; P.O. Box 668; Denison, Iowa 51442
- DROP OFF: City Hall (111 North Main)
Application and resume is due Friday, December 22, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
Parks & Rec / Aquatic Center Job Listings
Programs Coordinator (Full-Time)
Position: City of Denison will be accepting applications for the position of Denison Parks and Recreation Programs Coordinator.
Department: Parks & Rec
General Statement of Duties: Under the direction of the Denison Parks and Recreation Director this position supervises employees engaged in recreational programs.
Reports to: Denison Parks & Recreation Director
Job duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversees recreational programs (occasional aquatic programs).
- Helps oversee Aquatic Center when needed
- On-call on the weekends when the Parks and Recreation Director or Assistant Aquatics Director are absent.
Experience and training: Preference is that applicants have an Associates-Degree or equivalent 5 years’ experience working in a supervisory role.
Application and job description are available at the City Clerk Office or with this link:
If you have questions, contact Sam Ellis, Parks and Recreation Director,
by phone 712-263-8130 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due by November 24th, 2023
The City of Denison is an equal opportunity employer. E.O.E. Bilingual persons are encouraged to apply. Positions are open until filled. It is the policy of the City of Denison to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons, and to recruit, hire, train, promote and compensate persons in all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.